# Nushell 0.31
Nushell, or Nu for short, is a new shell that takes a modern, structured approach to your commandline. It works seamlessly with the data from your filesystem, operating system, and a growing number of file formats to make it easy to build powerful commandline pipelines.
Today, we're releasing 0.31 of Nu. This release includes continued polish of the engine and commands.
# Where to get it
If you want all the goodies, you can install
cargo install nu --features=extra.
If you'd like to try the experimental paging feature in this release, you can install with
cargo install nu --features=table-pager.
As part of this release, we also publish a set of plugins you can install and use with Nu. To install, use
cargo install nu_plugin_<plugin name>.
# What's New
This release is largely around polish. We've continued to improve Nushell's engine to work in the more streamlined style, improved the performance of commands like
ps and the appearance of commands like
# New commands (fdncred)
into string(opens new window) to convert values to strings
into binary(opens new window) to convert values to binary
- natemara fixed a slowness in the
pscommand (opens new window)
- elferherrera, kubouch, stormasm, LhKipp ported commands to the new engine-p style
- fdncred improved binaryview (opens new window), added check for endian-ness, added a bytes and skip (opens new window), added ability to change "#" color using header_color (opens new window), tweaked the error handling to show specific errors (opens new window), updated to a quicker Levenshtein implementation (opens new window), and allowed start to handle urls (opens new window)
- kubouch fixed table-pager feature compilation (opens new window)
- Azgrom created a features cargo installer wrapper (opens new window)
- jgoday added ignore-case and duplicated options to
uniqcommand (opens new window), and fixed a reduce --numbered bug (opens new window)
- ammkrn fixed a panic in the rustyline helper (opens new window)
- Sciencentistguy fixed an array index out of bounds error in nu_protocol::value::levenshtein_distance() (opens new window)
- ccde177b5fb9b8c55078417b4c9fee removed ichwh (opens new window)
- LhKipp fixed an issue in nu-env if
cdwith shortcuts (opens new window)
- fdncred fixed a bug in the syntax highlighting (opens new window)
- nalpine fixed dead links (opens new window)
- ChristopherBiscardi updated starship prompt integration (opens new window)
- ammkrn updated ls -f -> ls -la (opens new window)
# Nu Scripts
- fdncred created table grouping experiment, update twin to support single user per row (opens new window), twin weeknum guess (opens new window), and a prototype of TWiN automation script (opens new window)
- efx added a one liner to parse aws s3 ls output (opens new window)
- jonathandturner fixed TWiN range (opens new window)
# Looking ahead
Coming soon after the 0.31 release, we'll be landing some improvements (opens new window) to Nushell's syntax. These fixes will be breaking changes, but they're for a good reason. The simplification of the syntax will make Nushell both more consistent and more approachable for new users and experienced users alike.
We're also continuing to improve the command implementations. If you'd like to help, you can join in by signing up here (opens new window).